Friday, April 17, 2009

I should be flattered???

Well just as I start to get excited that the school year is wrapping up and my job will slow down for the summer, all kinds of craziness begins.

On Wednesday one of the deans at my place of employement asked me to come to her office to talk to her. I must admit, it made me a little nervous because I had no idea what she wanted to talk to me about. It felt almost like getting called to the principal's office! She stared off by telling me that the conversation was off the record. Then she explained that the main secretary in her side of the building is leaving in the summer and with the current hiring freeze they will only be allowed to post within the university. So she wanted to know if I would even be interested in applying. Now this job entails working from 8-5 everyday and working directly with the students and faculty doing all kinds of really lame stuff. In my current job I work from 7:30-4 and get to leave early pretty much every Friday because I end up at least a half hour of overtime each week (today I get to leave at 2:15). And in my current position I rarely have to associate with the professors (note: lawyers as professors equals a whole lot of obnoxious, pompous behavior) and the law students. And my bosses are so laid back and wonderful to work for. Needless to say, I very promptly responded with "No thanks, I love my job"! I guess I should be flattered that they thought of me for the position, but there is no way that I would ever want to work over in that side of the building.

Another "flattering" experience happened yesterday. I was put on a university committee in December when a girl left after having her baby. This committee does an annual conference for all university administrative and staff employees each year (meaning a lot of people). By coming in in December, I was thrown into my assignment about halfway through it and had to figure a lot of things out as I went. Thankfully the conference was great and everything worked out. But I decided that for this next year I would ask to be put on one of the easy sub-committees (making the handouts or being in charge of the luncheon). When I submitted my request I was informed that they were actually sending me a letter asking me to be one of 2 vice-chairs on the committee. Really, why me??? I of course accepted, because I just can't say no. My boss said that I must have done too good of a job. I told him that I tried not to! The one good thing is that this will look good on my resume for graduate school!

Speaking of graduate school, I will be sending in my application for the Executive Masters of Public Administration program next week (hopefully). This will mean that if I get in, in addition to working full-time I will also be going to school at night for 3 years and doing all this other "extra-curricular" stuff! But the program is specifically for people who are working full-time so they understand our time contraints. Anyway, any positive, good luck vibes you want to send my way will be greatly appreciated!

So I just realized that this blog is just a lot of complaining! Sorry about that. On a happy note, I only have 10 more minutes of work and the sun is shining today and melting all the snow outside! I love you sunshine!

5 comments:

Cadle Clan said...

Way to go Alecia! That's so exciting! Keep me posted about your masters program. That's awesome!

Cristina Lejardi said...

Hooray! Congratulations on all of your awesomeness! You deserve to be recognized for it! :)

How are you?! I haven't seen you in eons! I miss you, Lady! What's new in your life?! I wanna know it all!

ann said...

Congrats daughter of mine!! You are awesome and I am glad you are doing so good in your employment. Of course we always pray for you in all of your endeavors. Love you!!

Elder Richey said...

I think it is so wonderful that you are so loved at work. Of course you are doing an amazing job because let's be honest, you do an amazing job at all you're asked to do!

I am so excited for you to start that Masters program. Then I can call you Master Alecia and you can call me Master Katie. Sounds cool, huh? Seriously, though. I think it'll be a really great experience and you'll meet great people.

Tammy said...

It was fun to see you for a minute at Grandma's party. Being offered the jobs says a lot about you. You are so awesome. Good luck with grad school. You will do great!