Sunday, March 16, 2008

Who has influenced you?

Today in Sacrament Meeting, our high councilman was talking about influence. He said that those who influence us usually aren't the wealthy or those who are well known. Usually they are quiet individuals.
This caused me to think about who has influenced me and helped me to be, or tried to help me to be the person I am. So I started to make a list. This is definitely not a complete list by any means, just the first few people that came to mind.

My grandparents: They have taught me that age doesn't matter when it comes to family and friendship. And I have realized as I have gotten older just how much joy it brings me to hear about their life experiences.

My Great Grandmother Stockton: I didn't really know her very well when she was alive, but since her death I have felt as though I have come to know her better. Especially when I had the opportunity to do some of her temple work. After her funeral my Uncle gave me a picture that was taken of her and my granddaddy's headstone right after he died, and I have kept it as a reminder of my desire to see them again and know that they are mine forever.

My former roommate Mary: She taught me quiet kindness. I am still working on this one, but when I am rude or sarcastic, I think about Mary and how kind she was, and I have a greater desire to do good.

My friend Jake: He taught me true devotion to the gospel, no matter what anybody else does or thinks.

My best friend Robin: She has shown me and taught me what it means to be a righteous mother in the latter-days.

Elder Maxwell: Ok, he is well known, but he has influenced me greatly. Through his teachings, he has taught me what it means to truly be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

My friend Phil: He taught me service. And that the little things we do each day for one another do actually matter to those who receive of them. And those little things are the essence of being Christ-like.

My dad: He has taught me what it means to live the gospel simply without all the fanfare. He has taught me to have faith and he has shown me that the power of the priesthood is real. I have received some of the most amazing blessings while his hands have been on my head.

I challenge all who read this to make a list of your own, in your journal or anywhere you want, of who has influenced you and why.
Enjoy your Sabbath!

6 comments:

[Morgan] said...

I love reading the things you write and the entire time I was reading that, I was thinking that you are on the top of my list!Just thought I'd let you know what a great example you are to me of friendship, kindness and service!
Thank you again for watching Ellie, you are a great influence for her and she loves being around you!

Tammy said...

What a great entry on your blog. I loved reading it. You are an amazing person. Hope to see you soon.

ann said...

Thanks for your imput. A lot of people have influenced me as well. Most of my grandparents and especially Great-grandma Thorne have really influenced me. Grandma Thorne taught me to care about myself and want to be more, but not at the expense of someone else. I can't wait to see her again!

alecia said...

Thanks Morgan! I love hanging out with Ellie. She is so great. I love asking her questions and hearing what kinds of things she will say!
Tammy- Thanks, it was fun to write! I need to come up your way soon. I haven't seen my grandparents in a while either.
Mom-I wish that I had gotten to know Grandma Thorne better. I don't think that I ever really had any real conversations with her. I mostly just remember eating candy when we would go to her house!

Elder Richey said...

Great list! Definitely something to think about and record. Tim wondered where his name was though :)

alecia said...

Katie--LOL Well Tim did influence me a lot, I think that I learned more about fear from him than anybody else, nobody else has really made me fear for my safety and well being like he did growing up! At least he grew out of chasing us around and getting mad at us. He has definitely improved! :)