Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Being prepared

So I saw a quote this morning at work that I thought was great. "I am prepared for all emergencies, but totally unprepared for everyday life." How true is that!?! We spend so much time getting our food storage together and our 72 hours kits (I am not saying that these are not important, because they are), but how much do we actually prepare for the mundane, the usual? How often do you get in the car and realize that you are almost on empty, and you were supposed to be to work 5 minutes ago? Or start to make some cookies and remember that you forgot to buy some more sugar, but you already have the cookies started? Not to mention the fact that almost everyday something happens that we were not expecting. There is the scripture that says, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear". I definitely am not prepared, because I have a lot of fear. I fear the unknown, and I fear what might be. As I get older, I get more afraid of marriage. I see how hard it is and I start to realize how selfish I am becoming. I like spending my money how I like, and doing whatever I want without thinking about somebody else. But then I also fear being alone. Sometimes I get into bed at night and think, is this how it is going to be for the next 50 years? Me sleeping alone. And I also know that as much as I like the independence, I would like to have a husband and children depend on me. I like to cook and clean (not everyday, but most days), and I would like to have a family to take care of. I was talking to one of my co-workers the other day about Sheri Dew. I guess that she spoke in a ward in his stake a while ago and told them that if she doesn't get married in this life, she is looking for Captain Moroni when she dies. Well I told him that my backup, if I don't get married, is Alvin Smith, Joseph Smith's brother. Joseph said that Alvin was the best looking man he had ever seen, and I figure that Joseph probably saw most of the Nephites and ancient prophets in vision, so for Alvin to be the best looking, is something amazing. So Alvin is all mine! All you single girls, keep your hands off of him! My co-worker told me that he will let Alvin know I am coming if I am not married when he dies! So I still have my backup plan. Well this entry has definitely not gone where I was expecting it to go, but oh well. Here are my rambling thoughts on life. Enjoy. And if anybody has any ideas on how to prepare for everyday life, please share!! I can use all the help I can get.

4 comments:

ann said...

I love your candor and we pray for you every day (you and KayLyn). You are a very special person so I know you will be blessed in the Lord's due time. It took me a very long time to learn to "get thru" the single days (as I am sure you can remember all too well and wish I could redo) but I have learned a little better to turn it over to the Lord and let him handle it as long as I keep going forward.

Kris said...

Thanks for the reminder. I am still working on turning it over to HIM. I am not very good at it. It is hard to be prepared for the everyday. I am good to go minute by minute.

[Morgan] said...

have i ever told you how great i think you are?! gosh, you are such an amazing person. i love this post, it really hit home for me. and alvin? that's so awesome. although, i'm sure that you will not be available for himrebs. no way that some one as great as you will be alone for the next 50 years. no way.

alecia said...

Morgan--You are so sweet! Thanks. I really needed that today. I miss not seeing you. Are you going to Suzi's party Thursday night?
Kristy--Well at least you have minute by minute down! :)
Mom--Thanks for the prayers!